Thursday, July 10, 2014

Unanswered Prayers Turn Into Unexpected Blessings

"Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers. Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs, just because He doesn't answer, doesn't mean He don't care. Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." -Garth Brooks Unanswered Prayers 

Sometimes this song just seems so relevant to sooooo many situations in life. We don't always realize it when it's happening, but when it's all said and done, we look back and see that when we thought He was ignoring us.... He was actually piecing together the greatest gift of all.

That's something I can personally relate to. Back in 2013 I answered God's calling to leave my university and start looking for jobs. I've grown up in a family that has a Dean and a Professor so college always seemed like the obvious path for me. I even wanted to go to school. In the summer of 2013, God started working on my heart... opening it up to the idea of leaving school and following Him down whatever path He may lead me on. Going against His pull, I enrolled for the fall 2013 semester.

Worst. Decision. Of. My. Life.
(If anyone ever asks you whether you follow God's plan or your own... word of the wise, follow God's.) The Lord very gently reminded me throughout the semester who ultimately was in charge and who I had verbally committed to follow. One thing led to another and by the end of the semester, even thought I had settled into a major that I was ecstatic for...I was miserable. I was enrolled in classes I hated. I didn't have any form of a social life because I was invested into those same classes. I even became that one "unlucky" person that every professor seemed to lose her papers and emails (which also affected my grades.) I eventually learned to keep at LEAST 2 extra copies of all papers and work with me when I went to class. After extra prayer and talking to my parents and going over and over possibilities.... I decided to not enroll for the spring 2014 semester.

Now I know what some of you are thinking... "Education is the key to any career. Are you sure you're making the right decision." The answer I have for everyone that asks me that is "Absolutely." So now what? Well, I need to get a job to sustain myself while I wait for God to show me the next steps. I ended up with two jobs. One as a barista at a local Christian bookstore/coffeebar and one working for a family who needed a babysitter (but I'll get to that one in a minute). Working at a coffeebar in a christian bookstore that I grew up going to was a dream come true! I mean, two of my favorite things... Coffee and God. Needless to say, that job was and continues to be a blessing to me. Now on to the babysitting gig.

It all kind of just came together. I received a phone call from my former girl scout leader who knew I was looking for a job. She started telling me about the family she worked for... a young family with a five year old daughter and "almost two" year old triplets (a boy and two girls). Yep, you heard me right. Triplets...that were almost two. I'm sure you've heard of "terrible twos" ... well multiply that by three. I knew nothing about this family, or what I would be getting myself into but having babysat for years I thought that it would be a challenge. It was one I was up for. So after a couple weeks I was able to meet the mom and dad, meet the kiddos, and kind of get a feel for their routine. I had NO idea how blessed and happy these four kids would make me over the next several months.

Long story short, those four kiddos have brought me so much happiness and joy. Especially in times when I need it the most. Deciding to stay out of school was one of the hardest decisions I've made and it doesn't come without it's critics who think I'm "making a huge mistake with my life." But those four faces...those four faces that I see twice a week make all of the scrutiny and negative comments worth it. Those four faces that smile and giggle when I tickle them..those four faces that call me "Dah-bee" and give me sweet little kisses...those are the faces that I look forward to seeing and they make me see the beauty in God's promises. You see... He made a promise to me that if I trust in Him with all of my heart and lean not on my own understanding... He will make my paths straight. Does that sound family to all of you Bible Drillers? It's Proverbs 3:5-6. While He's making my paths for me, I'm trusting in Him and letting Him guide me. Not only is He setting my paths before me, He's making my time in waiting oh so sweet. 

Everyone... meet four sweet little blessings...



No comments:

Post a Comment