Sunday, July 13, 2014

30 Southern Sayin's

Growing up in the south I remember hearin' all kinds of sayings. Whether they come from my momma, my grandpa, other family, or my pastor! Over the years, I've actually made note of a few of them that I want to never die out. Here are a few of those plus some others I find valuable.

1. Good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise!
2. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it.
3. Lord have mercy!
4. I've been runnin' around like a chicken with it's head cut off!

5. Bless your heart. (My personal favorite...it can be used as a simple phrase or a preface for an insult.)
6. Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit.
7. Heavens to Betsy!
8. Hey ya'll! Watch this...(Every rednecks famous last words...)
9. I reckon.
10. Doggone it.
11. Dagnabit.

12. Dagum!"
13. I'm fixin' to...
14. Hold your horses!
15. Whoopsy Daisy.
16. Madder than a wet hen.
17. Slow as molasses.

18. What in the Sam Hill...
19. Oh my word.

20. Gimme some sugar.
21. Have you lost your cotton pickin' mind?
22. This too shall pass...
23. Ya'll come back now... ya hear?! (Sound familiar?)
24. You're gettin' too big for ya britches.
25. This ain't my first rodeo.

26. We were walkin' in High Cotton.
27. A few bricks shy of a load...
28. Do what?
29. Mind your manners!
30. Hey, Jack! (as made famous by the one and only Si Robertson)


These are no where near ALL of the sayin's I know of or have always heard... but that's a good list. 

From my southern heart to yours, 
-Darby

No comments:

Post a Comment